Sometimes It’s Hard to Be a Mother

There are some days as a mother that are really tough. I feel angry and frustrated at times. Today was one of those days. I am trying my best to be a good mother and speak positively to my children, but they really can push my buttons. I think they are born with that ability. I have been trying to teach my children to be respectful and that as their mother, and a person I need to be respected. It is a hard task. Hopefully my children will learn. I am respectful to my children and I expect the same. I hope they will be able to reciprocate some day.

If you have read my blog up to this point you know that I try to write positive things about mothering. Today is dedicated to all the hard days we have as mothers. All the days of teaching respect with respect. Thanks for reading, and if this note hits home with you, I hope that you have a better day after reading this and knowing that you are not alone. Keep moving forward!

8 Responses to "Sometimes It’s Hard to Be a Mother"

• Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been having a hard, really a hard time of being a Mom. My son is almost 2 years old and…and it is hard. Thanks

1 Thea said this (August 5, 2007 at 11:07 pm)

• Diana — hi! It’s Heather’s mom. I love that you have this blog! Of course your thoughts hit home — with any mother out there, of any age! The key is patience, I think, and diligence! If you continue showing them respect, they, in turn, will definitely show you respect..some day. 🙂 If you endure through a day, and well, the next good day that comes can boost you through another day that is meant to endure. (Did that make sense?) In other words, it’s all worthwhile in the end! And , you can do it! All part of being “mom”. Thankless in silly ways, but the most amazing blessing in the big ways.
    My advice, while they’re young like yours, is to get through one day at a time, and when you kiss them when they’e sleeping sweetly, remember to say to yourself, “good job”! When they’re older….well, I guess it’s the same. 😉

2 Shelly said this (August 16, 2007 at 5:15 am)

• Thank you! I really appreciate your insight, especially since all of your children are grown and have turned out wonderfully. You have “proof in the pudding” as the saying goes! Thank you for reading and your wonderful message of hope!

3 Diana Mildenstein said this (August 16, 2007 at 10:05 am)

• Thanks for this blog. Good to know I am not alone in finding this mothering job hard sometimes!Even if one has a precious, healthy and (usually) happy little one I guess it can’t all be smooth sailing!

I find the testing the boundaries thing and “throwing a frothy till I get my way” thing a bit tiring!

4 Nicky said this (June 1, 2010 at 4:47 am)

• Yes, there will be times when your patience as a mother will be tested. As your child grow older, there is a stage when they think they are right and they impose what they want. Just be more patient. I’m pretty sure, when they grow up and have kids, they will surely look back and thank you for being patient and loving to them.

5 Rezzie said this (July 6, 2010 at 7:10 am)

• Let me just start by saying thankyou for writing this blog.
    I came accross it one day when i have having a terrible day. Over nothing- Nothing set me off it was just one of those days. The first entry i read was “sometimes its hard to be a mother”. As i was reading i was finding it hard to see through my tears. It was exactly how i was feeling. After reading afew more, smiling afew times, crying afew more times, i picked myself up and got on with my day. Ofcause i was still feeling unhappy but i felt so much better knowing that somewhere someone was feeling the exact same way as i was feeling and even though it wasnt physical, i felt supported.
    Being a 24 year old mother of 3, not many of my friends have children and dont understand. These are really friends of my husbands who i have met through him. They all grow up in a small town so all know eachother. I moved here when i met my husband and so this makes it very difficult for me. No matter how long we have been friends, i will always feel like im on the outside.I feel like i cant talk to them for fear i might be judged or look weak. I try my hardest and usually it doesnt get to me, but that day, i was well and truely over it. I can relate to many your stories. So thank you, thank you thank you- so much.

x x x x x
    Jaimie.

6 jaimie said this (June 18, 2011 at 4:32 am)

• I grew up in a broken family. It was a v traumatic and chaotic childhood. Had a step mother who used beat the hell out of me for my slightest mistakes. Had no real relationship with my father or mother. Never knew what used to be loved and cared for. Until I myself became a mom. I have a beautiful son. But the problem is me and my hubby has absolutely different parenting method. He spoils our child , and I am d one who has to step up and say No and discipline him sometimes. As a result it’s harming our relationships. I feel my son is becoming v superficial and materialistic. Don’t know what to do… He just shrugs and frowns whenever I try to talk to him about our problems.

7 Leeba said this (April 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm)

• I never thought this would be easy, but I didn’t realize the amount of patience that would be tested. My 14 month old is amazing and smart and sweet and well mannered. I think that it’s me most of the time. I have taken on the poor me attitude and I’m upset by it. I went from a full time surgical assist to a full time mom. My husbands great bit he also thinks I don’t know what hard work is so obviously nothing I do is good enough. But not for him, for me. I’ve adopted a terrible attitude that has mad me my worst critic. I have a little bit of an anger issue and it just snaps. Not abusive by the way but just frustrating. I feel so tierd and I feel like I’ve lost me. Like I don’t matter. I see moms all the time that have this groove with being a parent like that’s what they were ment to do and I look ant my daughter and of course that’s what I’m ment to do but I have no groove. I know a lot of moms adopt the poor me attitude but I want it gone. I want to know I’ve done my best and not feel like I don’t work hard enough. My husband tells me that but in the same sentence he also throws in there I do t know what hard is… Oh well. I guess I needed to vent And I just liked what instead on this site. Thanks for listening.

8 Cara said this (June 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm)